Thursday, August 18, 2011

food bucket list...

There are sooo many things I was to atempt to make.. in order to keep track of them and my progress I am creating a food bucket list.  This will be addition one, since I am constantly coming up with things that I want to try and make.

Pizza - hand made dough and all.  My favorite kind of pizza is the super thin crust oven roasted kind, with spinach and mushrooms and tomatoes.... yum.  Though I don't have a wood oven, I will still aim for something similar. Gweneth made this one with her beautiful wood oven, I will use her recipe for dough. 


Lox... I did attempt this last week and somehow it was not right. I think its because I did not use kosher salt.  I was completely crushed, not only did I waste the fish but I was soooo excited to eat lox all week.  This, however, will not stop me.   My love for lox will push me to try this again and master the salty treat. 

Bagels.  To go perfectly well with my lox, once they are perfected.  First I will try this recipe from lottie and doof.  My mom used to pan fry a bagel for break feast.  It sounds odd, but she would slice it in half, butter it, and fry it with a heavy lid on top.  So a perfectly crunchy, butter, salty top and bottom would develop.


Yogurt. I think this is why I am destined to be obsessed with food.  When I was growing up my mom made Greek yogurt.  Greek yogurt in general is just SOOO different from the likes of Dannon that Yoplait and everything low fat just tastes fake to me.. And I know there now are better options out there (like my favorite from Trader Joe's "European Style" which is creamy and tangy and delish) BUT nothing can match the memory I have of my moms yogurt. And hands down perfectly strained it always made the best tsadziki.

Flourless chocolate cake.  This should not be too hard, a woman I used to cater with would bring this delicious, rich dark chocolate cake.  Probably the best choclate treat out there.

Learn interesting things to make with tofu.  As of now my only trick is to pan fry it with salt, peeper and olive oil and put it on a salad.  This works but, the tofu is more of an after though than the star.

This will be it for now... can't wiat to share my progress!